Do you have three hours per week to spare? Want to spend quality time with your child? SoLo is always in need of coaches at the various levels.
What's the commitment?
- 1-2 practices/week, 50-60 min each
- 1 game/week (1 hr/week)
- 1 pre-season orientation (1.5 hrs)
- Team draft (60-90 minutes via teleconference)
- Pre-Season Coaches Clinic and Equipment Pickup (1.5 hours)
- Player evaluations (optional, 2-3 hours)
- Online requirements (1 hour)
- Online Background Check form
- Online Concussion Course
- Option to attend pre-season player evaluation sessions (3 hours)
What is the benefit?
- To choose practice nights that fits into their schedule
- A great chance to spend quality time with your child
- A stylish coaches shirt
- A coaches plaque with a team photo to save the memory
Youth Coaching Program
Kids in High School (grades 9-12) can sign up to coach a middle school house league team. Youth Coaches must attend a special orientation session with our Director of House League. Youth coaches must be paired up with an adult team manager. Youth coaches can earn volunteer hours and can request a verification letter at the end of the season.
The fine print:
Volunteer coaches are needed at all levels. We are committed to provide all the resources necessary for coaches to be successful, and to protect the participants. The following are the requirements for coaching:
- Coaches must be 18 years of age. We will permit volunteers under the age of 18 as long as they are paired with an assistant or volunteer parent over 18. Note: Travel coaches must be over 18 years of age.
- Coaches must complete a background investigation. We contract with the National Center for Safety Initiatives who handles all of the background investigations. SLB does not retain any of the information from the screenings.
- Coaches must attend one of the two Coaches Clinic sessions. SLB partners with TrueAP to provide a comprehensive training program.
- Coaches are asked to attend the pre-season orientation meeting in mid-September. The SLB Board provides a presentation to all coaches.
- Coaches must complete a Concussion Awareness program. this is a 30-minute, online presentation and quiz to educate coaches on the importance of identifying potential concussions. Virginia state law requires all youth organizations to provide this program, which is prepared by the Centers for Disease Control.
- Coaches are asked to attend the evaluations and team drafts. Specific schedules for each level will be posted on the website.
- Travel coaches are required to complete and submit an application. Travel coaches will go through an interview process with the Travel committee. Qualified applicants will be selected to participate in the travel tryout evaluation process, and team/coaching assignments will be finalized at the conclusion of the tryout process. More information and the application is posted at www.solohoops.com/travel.